Old San Diego Lighthouse
Southern CA Mission
Northern CA Missions
Julian
San Diego Victorians
Native Country
Round the World
Gallery of Quilts
Home

Mission San Juan Capistrano

Mission San Juan Capistrano

Quilt design and images copyright by Susan Plack, 1998

Mission San Juan Capistrano was founded first in 1775. In the process of founding San Juan Capistrano, Father Lausen had heard about the attack on Mission San Diego. He buried the bells at San Juan and returned to San Diego to help out and take refuge. A year later on November 1, 1776 the mission was founded again, as Father Lausen returned to San Juan. The bells were still buried where they had been left. A year after that the long narrow adobe church was finished. It was not until 1791 that the bell tower was competed. Up until that point the bells had hung from a tree. In 1797 a larger church with seven domes was begun. It took 9 years to complete the new church. It stood only 6 years until an earthquake leveled the building killing 40 Indians. Secularization followed soon after that and a large part of the Mission was taken over by Pio Pico’s brother in law. Today the mission is famous for the birds that migrate through every year.

Home | CA Lighthouses | So. CA Missions | No. CA Missions | Julian | SD Victorians | Utah
Round the World | Gallery | Artist's Information