Old San Diego Lighthouse
Southern CA Mission
Northern CA Missions
Julian
San Diego Victorians
Native Country
Round the World
Gallery of Quilts
Home

Mission San Antonio de Pala

Mission San Antonio de Pala


Quilt design and images copyright by Susan Plack, 1998

Father Antonio Peyri founded the Mission San Antonio De Pala on June 13th 1816.  It is the only Mission left that still serves the needs of the American Indians, as it resides today at the Pala Indian Reservation.  After 1846, the California government moved the San Luis Rey Indians to their temporary home at the Pala Indian reservation.  Temporary because it was not a large enough area to support any growth on the part of the Indians.  Pala began as an area to grow corn for the San Luis Rey farmers.  The first building was a granary.  The mission began as a small chapel, and grew from there. The Pala Mission is considered a sub station of the Mission San Luis Rey de Francia and is not counted in the 21 along the California Mission trail.

Home | CA Lighthouses | So. CA Missions | No. CA Missions | Julian | SD Victorians | Utah
Round the World | Gallery | Artist's Information