Old San Diego Lighthouse
Southern CA Mission
Northern CA Missions
Julian
San Diego Victorians
Native Country
Round the World
Gallery of Quilts
Home

Mission San Diego de Alcala

Mission San Diego de Alcala


Quilt design and images copyright by Susan Plack, 1998

A brushwood shelter was built by Father Serra July 16, 1769 at the top of a hill overlooking the San Diego Bay. Father Serra had established the Mission San Diego de Alcalá, the first mission of California. The first mission was located on the sight of the Presidio in San Diego.  The Indians that the Father had come to convert watched the mission and Presidio grow.  They eventually began to wander through the mission stealing whatever they could.  The soldiers resented the thefts and when it looked like the Indians were going to steal en masse, fired on the Indians.

Father Serra then moved the mission 6 miles inland to separate the Indians from the soldiers.  Father Serra refused to allow his mission to bear arms.  It was after an Indian attack on the mission, where another father was killed that the mission was moved back to the Presidio.  This move was no more successful than the first time.  So, Father Serra moved the mission back to it’s inland location where it still stands today.  The church of today was completed in 1813.

Home | CA Lighthouses | So. CA Missions | No. CA Missions | Julian | SD Victorians | Utah
Round the World | Gallery | Artist's Information