Old San Diego Lighthouse
Southern CA Mission
Northern CA Missions
Julian
San Diego Victorians
Native Country
Round the World
Gallery of Quilts
Home

Point Bonita Lighthouse

Point Bonita Lighthouse

Quilt Designed and Copyright by Susan Plack 1997

Point Bonita Lighthouse sits at the entrance to the San Francisco Bay. The original lighthouse was built 260 feet above the sea, and frequently sat in dense fog. The light was lit for the first time on May 2, 1855. On August 8, 1855, an eight foot long cannon was installed to be fired once every half-hour during heavy fog. In 1872 a new lighthouse was slated to be built at a lower elevation. Much of the original lighthouse was moved to the new location which was lit on February 2, 1877. Point Bonita was the last manned lighthouse on the coast of California. It is now under the direction of the National Park Service.

Home | CA Lighthouses | So. CA Missions | No. CA Missions | Julian | SD Victorians | Utah
Round the World | Gallery | Artist's Information