Old San Diego Lighthouse
Southern CA Mission
Northern CA Missions
Julian
San Diego Victorians
Native Country
Round the World
Gallery of Quilts
Home

Point Fermin Lighthouse

Point Fermin Lighthouse

Quilt Designed and Copyright by Susan Plack 1997

The Point Fermin Lighthouse was built in 1874 with lumber from California Redwood trees. In the late 1840's a 21 mile stretch of railroad was built to connect up the San Pedro harbor with Los Angeles. The lighthouse was built to mark the harbour. The light was originally lit by two sisters, Mary and Ella Smith on December 15, 1874. The light rotated, giving it the appearance of a flashing light. The light was active until two days after the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 9, 1941. As a way to thwart Japanese submarines that had been spotted off of the west coast, most lights were turned off during World War II. Recently the lighthouse went through a major renovation in 2002, and in 2006 the original lens was returned to the lighthouse.

Home | CA Lighthouses | So. CA Missions | No. CA Missions | Julian | SD Victorians | Utah
Round the World | Gallery | Artist's Information