Old San Diego Lighthouse
Southern CA Mission
Northern CA Missions
Julian
San Diego Victorians
Native Country
Round the World
Gallery of Quilts
Home


Santa Cruz Lighthouse

Santa Cruz Lighthouse

Quilt Designed and Copyright by Susan Plack 1997

The Santa Cruz Lighthouse is located on the northern side of the Monterey Bay. The construction plans for the lighthouse were originally used for the Ediz Hook Lighthouse in Washington, and then recycled for Santa Cruz. The lighthouse was first lit on the evening of January 1, 1870. The lighthouse was deactivated in 1941 when a new taller light tower was built. In 1948 the Coast Guard auctioned off the lighthouse. It was bought by a father and son who tore the light down to use the lumber in a new building. The brick Mark Abbott Memorial Lighthouse (seen here) was built next to the wooden tower in 1967 bringing a lighthouse back to Santa Cruz. It is now a surfing museum.

Home | CA Lighthouses | So. CA Missions | No. CA Missions | Julian | SD Victorians | Utah
Round the World | Gallery | Artist's Information